Bacon Free Library Natick, MA
Constructed in 1908 to the designs of Boston-based architect Robert G. Shaw, Bacon Free Library is a handsome brick structure located on the banks of the Charles River. Highly visible at the crossroads of South Natick, it houses the town’s library collection in addition to the documents and artifacts owned by the Natick Historical Society. The structure contributes to the John Eliot (local) Historic District and is individually listed on the Massachusetts and National Registers of Historic Places.
In 2021, our firm was engaged by the Bacon Free Library Board of Trustees to design improvements to the building, including accessibility upgrades and interventions aimed at accommodating an overhaul of the existing HVAC system. The existing conditions phase is ongoing, and has thus far included site measurements, AutoCAD drawings and preparation of a three-dimensional model of the entire building. The contract includes schematic design, construction documents, and construction administration for the HVAC replacement campaign. Client