Bedford Depot Bedford, MA
Built in 1874, the Bedford Depot was a simple single-floor structure serving freight and passenger customers of the Billerica & Bedford Railroad. By 1965 the B&B Railroad had become the Boston & Maine Railroad and no longer served passengers. The Bedford Depot was subsequently converted to office use and in the process a second story was added to the original plan. Windows and finishes were replaced with features that were more accommodating to the building’s new function.
In expectation of attracting local developers who will return the Bedford Depot to its original prominence in the community, the Town of Bedford engaged our firm to assess the existing conditions, develop a preservation strategy, and prepare documentation to inform a developer proposal request. In 2008, we directed replacement of the roof and restoration of the eave brackets. In 2014 the exterior was restored to match the original appearance.