Church of the Covenant Boston, MA
The Church of the Covenant, an inspiring presence in Boston’s Back Bay since its construction in 1867 and a National Historic Landmark, was designed by Richard M. Upjohn of the famous New York firm. The drama of its Gothic Revival exterior is rivaled by the dazzling beauty of the stained glass windows and interior designed by Tiffany Glass and Decorating Company.
Knowing that its building needed critical envelope repairs, the congregation engaged our firm in 2009 to perform a comprehensive conditions assessment of the envelope and infrastructure, a building history and maintenance chronology, and prioritized preservation treatment recommendations. The report provides a roadmap for repairs and maintenance and informs fund raising and grant seeking activities.
We have participated in phased restoration at the church that has included masonry and roofing repairs, conservation of the monumental wood doors, stained glass window conservation, and new sanctuary flooring. In collaboration with the church historian, the firm co-authored the successful National Landmark nomination that garnered recognition for the church’s one-of-a-kind Tiffany interior.