Bedford Old Town Hall Bedford, MA
Built in 1856 in the Greek Revival style with Italianate influences, the Old Town Hall rises two-and-a-half stories above grade on the Bedford Town Common. Our firm completed a preservation and rehabilitation plan for this local landmark in 1999 and the building underwent exterior restoration in 2000. With the building restored to its historic appearance, public enthusiasm for its reuse grew.
We were asked to design and direct the existing structure with new building systems, structural improvements, and a new catering kitchen. A sensitively designed rear addition accommodated an elevator, egress staircase, and accessible restrooms. Construction was completed in 2004. Today the building houses an arts center and community cable television studio and provides rental space for meetings and events.
The first project in the Commonwealth to use Community Preservation Act funds in an historic building project, the Old Town Hall was recognized with a 2006 Massachusetts Historical Commission Preservation Award for Adaptive Reuse. In 2017 our firm conducted a feasibility study for the building’s transformation to a town museum.