First Parish Church Groton, MA
The First Parish Church of Groton, constructed in 1755, is the Parish’s fourth building and the second on the site. The original structure was a simple rectangular meeting house plan with a centered main entrance on its long side. In a dramatic alteration in 1839, the meeting house was turned so that its north gable end con-tained the main entrance, the portico was added, and the church building acquired its current Greek Revival form and features. To accommodate both worship and municipal governance, the interior was divided into two stories with a municipal assembly hall on the lower level and a sanctuary on the upper level.
Our firm was engaged in 2013 to perform a comprehensive conditions assessment and maintenance plan for this historic meeting house. We have since assisted the church with fundraising activities and the preparation of a nomination for individual listing on the National Register of Historic Places. We are currently directing a comprehensive exterior restoration project that implements the repair recommendations made in the conditions assessment report including restoration of the historic 250-year old weathervane affectionately known as ‘Buddy’. The work is supported by Groton Community Preservation Act funds.