Goodnow Memorial Library Princeton, MA
The Goodnow Memorial Building, constructed in 1883 to the designs of prolific Worcester-based architect Stephen C. Earle, is a product of the Romanesque Revival. Its coursed ashlar granite walls are accented with brownstone trim and areas of terra cotta, an ideal backdrop for the ‘pop’ of the red window casings throughout. Consciously designed as a pair, Goodnow Library and Bagg Hall share an architect, a donor, and a style. The two structures together define the town’s architectural landscape to such an extent that they have for over a century been depicted on the town’s official seal.
SSV first became involved with the Town of Princeton in the spring of 2019, after being commissioned to lead the exterior restoration of Bagg Hall. The preservation of the Goodnow Memorial Library’s clock tower consists primarily of masonry repointing and deep crack grouting, in addition to selective replacement of worn slates, flashings and wood trim. These architectural interventions became important with the shifting of stone, water infiltration, and failed conditions of flashing in several areas. Currently, the work is approaching closeout.