First Church in Salem
First Church of Salem Salem, MA
Built between 1834 and 1836, the current building is the sixth meetinghouse of the First Church in Salem, which was founded in 1629 by the Puritans of the Massachusetts Bay Colony. Inspired by the Gothic churches in England, this building has been described as “one of the most outstanding stone masonry Gothic Revival ecclesiastical structures in the United States.”
In 2008 our firm performed a building conditions assessment and prepared a master plan to address the changing requirements of the congregation, whose programming needs had outgrown its facility. Critical envelope repairs identified in the assessment were executed in 2009 with support from a Massachusetts Preservation Projects Fund matching grant. In 2010 the firm designed a new accessible entry at the Parish House, as envisioned in the master plan, which was approved by the McIntire Historic District Commission. We assisted the congregation with the Massachusetts Architectural Access Board and zoning variances. Construction was completed in 2012.