Prescott Building Lancaster, MA
The Prescott Building, along with the Town Hall, the Library and the Charles Bulfinch-designed First Church, are located at the civic and cultural heart of the Town of Lancaster. Designed in 1906 by architect Herbert D. Hale, the former school has a Classical façade that speaks to the Colonial Revival sweeping the country at the time.
Today, the building is evolving from more than a century of educational use to its future functions housing town records, a history center and leased space. Its owners must preserve and celebrate the building’s striking architecture while creating an accessible, functional, code compliant venue that welcomes the community. Our firm was engaged in 2011 to perform a conditions assessment and feasibility study for reuse of the Prescott Building and to provide conceptual design through construction services for the rehabilitation. The building renovation, currently underway, includes the introduction of universal access and site redevelopment for improved parking.